– The military said the soldiers recapture last known strongholds of the Boko Haram insurgents
– However, Irabor, the commander of the operation, says this doesn’t mean that the Boko Haram is completely defeated
The Nigerian army has said that the deadly Boko Haram sect had no known base “beyond the Sambisa forest”, the Punch reports.
Maj. Gen. Lucky Irabor, the head of Nigeria’s counter-insurgency operation in the north-east, disclosed this during the press conference in Maiduguri, the Borno state capital.
Irabor stated that the Boko Haram fighters had been displaced from their last known hideout, Mallam Fatori, on September 27.
He said: “We have captured Boko Haram’s last known strongholds of Abadam and Mallam Fatori, and we are now consolidating our hold.”
The army commander lamented that the retake of Mallam Fatori from the terrorists was not without a cost as the military recorded human and material loses.